Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Can I be a writer?

I have never considered myself being a writer, in fact, i never considered myself having anything other then an average ability to do anything. One of those people who are good at everything, but not great. Recently, I thought I might enjoy being a writer. Heck, I have read some really bad books, how hard could it be?

Basically, my goal is to get published within one year. Impossible you say? Well, what i didn't mention is that its anything published. Meaning, short story, short short story, poem, novella, you get my point. Eventually, the goal would be a novel, but, baby steps, right?

This month has been the first month I have ever written a story in my life, so i created an aggressive goal for myself. I will submit one story every week, for the rest of 2007. After that, i will change to twice a month. If i can keep up that out put, something has to take, right? I mean can i possibly write that much garbage? Well, probably, but i hope not.

I have some ideas in my mind for a possible novel, but just on the starts of it. Writing an outline, creating characters, its a long way off i think, but who knows. i tend to jump write into these things.

Well, here's to the challenge! I have submitted four stories so far, two to contests and two to magazines. I don't have them on me, but my next post will provide where they are sent in case you care! Most require a turn around time of at least 2 months, so wont hear anything anytime soon, but figured might as well get the ball rolling.

No comments: